Started in 2009, PSA's highly selective Congressional staff foreign policy and national security program - the first of its kind - runs two times each year. This opportunity is for
Congressional staff interested in generating dialogue and developing the skills
and relationships required to advance bipartisanship on critical national security and
foreign policy issues. Through policy seminars and networking activities, this
unique program aims to equip the next generation of foreign policy and security
experts to respect differences, build common ground and achieve U.S. national
Events take place every other week in the evenings after work hours, typically on Mondays and Tuesdays.
Past activities have included:
- Intimate discussions with policy makers and members of Partnership for a Secure America’s esteemed Advisory Board
- An interactive seminar designed to enhance negotiation and communication skills
- A dynamic simulation of a National Security Council meeting with former high-level officials playing the role of National Security Advisor
- An off-site weekend retreat that includes in-depth policy discussions on vital national security and foreign policy issues
- Opportunities to engage with top
national security figures and past CPP participants in small-group
CPP participants have engaged in discussions with such PSA Advisory Board members as former Undersecretary of State Paula Dobriansky, former New Jersey Governor and 9/11 Commission Co-chair Tom Kean, former National Security Advisor Bud McFarlane, former U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Donald McHenry, former U.S. Ambassador Tom Pickering, and former Homeland Security Advisor Frances Townsend, published op-eds in international newspapers, and gained valuable connections that developed into bipartisan and bicameral professional relationships. Other private event speakers have included current and former Senators, U.S. Representatives, Ambassadors, Cabinet Secretaries, and other senior-level officials including Dick Lugar, Ben Rhodes, Chuck Hagel, Rajiv Shah, Dennis McDonough, Evan Bayh, Jon Kyl, Michael Morell and Anthony Lake.
- Current employment with a member of Congress or committee office, AND
- Demonstrated interest in national security and foreign policy issues
For further information about the program, please contact PSA Deputy Executive Director, Nathan Sermonis, at email@example.com or 202-293-8580.
"In the past, bipartisan cooperation on national security
and foreign policy depended on leaders who forged
close friendships across party lines. PSA's Congressional Partnership Program
creates opportunities for young Democrats and Republicans to
learn about important policy issues in an atmosphere conducive to
building mutual trust, respect and even friendship."
- Gov. Thomas Kean
9/11 Commission Chair
PSA Advisory Board Member